Friday, May 23, 2014

Do You Have A Relationship With God?

Long before I retired, I worked in an office in Manhattan.  From time to time after work some of us would stop off at a nearby pub for some relaxed chat on our way home. After a year or two of these impromptu sessions, one day we got to talking about God. Some of us would get quite specific about how we were trying to approach God.

One member of this conversation was Peter, a late-thirties father of two young kids, who worked in Sales for our firm.  Peter told us he was his own boss ---- that he did not believe there was a God who cares about humankind, so he saw a need to be his own Savior.

Another member of our group was George.  He was older than the rest of us ---- probably in his late fifties.  He worked in the Accounting Dept. and liked his daily life to be well-organized and low-risk.  George said he looked to God as his helper, teacher and through Jesus as the model for his daily life.  As some of us heard George say that he always tried to obey God's law (being really righteous and really moral) we wondered if this was just so George could be his own Savior and bargain better for his own salvation.  We were thinking that if George gave God things in the hope that they would earn George blessings in heaven, then was he actually doing anything at all for God? It would be for George's benefit only.  Do you remember the Pharisees of Jesus' time, who were so fixated on the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law?

George admitted that he obeyed God in order to get things from God.  He said that when circumstances in his life went wrong, he was angry at God or at himself, since he believed that anyone who is "good" deserves a comfortable life.  When he is criticized, he continued, he is furious or devastated, because it is critical that he think of himself as a "good person."   George felt that threats to that self-image must be destroyed at all costs.  He said that his prayer life consisted mainly of petition, and it would heat up only when he was in "a time of need." George admitted that his main purpose in prayer was to control his environment.

George said of himself, "I obey, therefore, I am accepted by God."  He agreed that his motivation was based on fear and insecurity, and that his self-view would swing between two poles.  "If and when I am living up to my standards," he said, "I feel confident, but then I am prone to be proud and unsympathetic to failing people."  "If and when I am not living up to my standards," he continued, "I feel humble but not confident ---- I feel like a failure.  My identity and self-worth are based mainly on how hard I work, or how moral I am ---- and so I must look down on those I perceive as lazy or immoral."

The viewpoints of Peter and George had left us puzzled.  Both men were saying, in effect, that they were avoiding God as Savior and Lord.  Each of them was trying to keep control of their lives by looking to something besides God for salvation.  Eventually, someone spoke up and said that "religious legalism and irreligious relativism" are just different strategies for "self-salvation."

A week later some of us happened to meet again at our nearby pub.  Peter and George were not there, but our friend Jack joined us. Someone recalled the earlier comments of Peter and George the week before, which had been unsettling for some of us.  For Jack's benefit, we recounted the prior week's discussion.

Jack listened with great interest, and he explained that he is a member of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan.  The Senior Pastor of that church, a man named Timothy Keller, had been preaching recently on this very subject ---- one's relationship with God.

Jack quoted Pastor Keller as saying, "My identity is not built on my record or my performance, but on God's love for me in Christ.  My prayer life consists of generous stretches of praise and adoration.  My main purpose is fellowship with God.  My self-view is not based on my moral achievement.  In Christ, I am simultaneously sinful and lost, yet accepted in Christ.  I am so bad that he had to die for me, and I am so loved that he was glad to die for me."

Jack stopped to take a breath, and then continued to paraphrase Pastor Keller:  "This leads me to deep humility and confidence at the same time.  My identity and self-view are centered on one who died for me.  I am saved by sheer grace, so I cannot look down on those who believe or practice something different from me.  Only by grace am I what I am."  Unlike the view of George ("I obey, therefore. I am accepted"), Jack believed "I am accepted, therefore I obey."

"Only an experience of grace," said Jack, "can change us so we do not avoid Jesus Christ as Savior, but do good things for goodness's sake, for God's sake.  What is this grace?  It is not fundamentally an invitation to get more religious.  No, though we often fail to obey the moral law, the deeper problem is why we are trying to obey it.  Even our efforts to obey it may just have been a way of seeking to be our own Savior."

In Jack's opinion, our friend Peter's way to live does not involve any attempt to repent. Then, too, George's way to live involves only repentance of his sins.  But, followers of the third way to live described by Pastor Timothy Keller, repent both their sins and their self-righteousness.

"So," concluded Jack, "we must change not so much the amount but the object of our faith.  We have to do more than just subscribe to a set of doctrines about Christ.  It is more than that ---- we must transfer our trust from our own works and record, to Christ's work and record.
_______________________________________________________________________

These thoughts are brought to you by CPC's Adult Spiritual Development Team, hoping to encourage you to pursue some personal growth this year at CPC.
_______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment