Wednesday, August 20, 2014

WEEKLY COMMENTARY: I Am So Lucky!

Back in July, I went to a family wedding in Pennsylvania.  I drove, and my cousin Sally rode with me. We were fairly close in earlier years, but I hadn't had much recent contact with Sally, so it felt good to warm up that friendship again.

A while after we passed through the Delaware Water Gap, I began thinking about a T.V. program I had seen the night before.  It had shown vivid pictures of people in some Middle Eastern country struggling to survive for another day.  I had been deeply touched, and I told Sally what I had seen.  "Children were starving, with empty bellies," I said.  "They had nothing to eat, and were able to retain only the clothes on their backs.  All around them they heard the sounds of gunfire and bombs going off.  And it made me realize that we are so lucky.  We are so lucky to be living here and not there." I had tears in my eyes when I said that.  I was sort of overwhelmed with gratitude.

Sally listened quietly, and then said, "You have so much gratitude, but then what?"

"We're just so lucky that we live here instead of there," I said.

"Really?  That's it?"  Sally went on to say that I sounded like a person who fills up on the deep-fried appetizers and doesn't order anything else from the menu.  Perhaps I did not feel hungry for dinner now, but that snack, she said, would not sustain me for anything like real exertion.  "It tastes good," she acknowledged, "but it's just not enough."

Then Sally really challenged me.  She continued, "I am guessing that you give to charity and have a good supply of PBS tote bags.  But when you witness pain and declare yourself 'lucky,' you have fallen way short of what Jesus would do."

I turned her words over and over in my mind.  She seemed to be telling me that when I witnessed suffering and then declared myself to have achieved salvation in the "religion of gratitude," that I have fallen way short of what God would have me do, no matter what religion I was called to.

Sally resumed:  "And by the way, while I think God does want us to feel gratitude, I do not think God particularly wants us to feel 'lucky.'   I think God wants us to witness pain and suffering and, rather than feeling 'lucky,' God wants us to get angry and want to do something about it."

Sally said that 'feeling 'lucky,' is like saying that the gods pick one person to live in the suburbs of the richest nation on earth, and another person to starve.  In a worldview of 'luck,' righteousness is really not at home.  It suggests that we are powerless and unable to change anyone else's "bad luck."

"Furthermore, at some point the worldview of luck just doesn't pan out.  At some point one realizes that this religion of luck isn't enough, and we long for something as outrageous as a new heaven and a new earth."

"What is missing from the"religion of luck" worldview is the perspective that we might get in a Christian community, that would take us from thinking ourselves merely 'lucky,' to actually doing something about the hardships of other peoples' lives."

"At some point, if one thinks about it at all, the person with the self-made religion of luck, will use his God-given brain and the wisdom of hard experience, and start to ask angry and provocative questions, and see holes in this spirituality of status quo."

Sally paused to catch her breath.  "The civil rights movement didn't happen because people felt lucky.  The hungry don't get fed, the homeless don't get sheltered, and the world doesn't change because people who are doing okay feel lucky.  We need more."

"No," said Sally, "as Christians we expect more, way more, like a new heaven and a new earth, and because we follow Jesus, we had better expect to be involved in making it happen, alongside other people."
_______________________________________________________________________________

These thoughts are brought to you by CPC's Adult Spiritual Development Team, hoping to encourage you to pursue some personal growth this Fall at CPC.
________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment