Wednesday, April 29, 2015

WEEKLY COMMENTARY: Is There More Than One Kind of Power Active In Our Prayer Requests?

I have always wanted to have a sailboat on a large lake.  But when a friend suggested I pray for it, I backed off.  "First, I should pray for health," I said.  "And not just my own, but my family's."

"Don't forget world peace," he added.  "And a cure for all diseases.  Be sure to name them all, with their appropriate Latin names, so God knows exactly what your instructions are, because we wouldn't want hangnails to be eliminated before cancer.  But yes, there's a lot to cover before you can ask for the sailboat,"  he agreed.

That kind of thinking, that reluctance to honestly ask God for what we really want, is arrogance posing as humility.  It seems humble to not ask God straight away for our own desires, and to put other larger matters first. But doing that implies we have power in all this.  As if by asking God to cure diabetes before asking for a raise, we might actually affect God's priorities.

Do we actually think that if no one asked for anything trivial, and everyone got focused on world peace, God would finally see that we had reached some quota and say, "Right, now that four billion and one people have asked for it, I will make it happen.  But, don't anyone ask for a sailboat right now, or I'll get distracted."  Sorry, but I just don't think our prayer requests have that kind of power.

So, why do we bother to pray?

Prayer is about connecting with God, about having a relationship with our divine creator.  I believe God desires that with us, and that God actually cares about our trivial wants, our big dreams, and our petty grievances.  This may strike you as humbling news, but I believe we can come to God with anything and God will work with it.  Thus, prayer is not all up to me.  With prayer, not everything depends upon what I do and say.

For example, when I have a selfish desire, prayer inevitably helps in that it exposes it for what it is. By honestly praying for what I really want, I am sometimes shamed into realizing I should not want that thing after all.

One time I actually prayed something like this:  "Lord, please don't let him get that job because if that pompous moron has any more success in life, it will drive me so crazy with jealousy I won't be able to sleep .  .  ."  After those words crossed my mind, I couldn't help but notice that these words were not from the person I wanted to be.

When we just think such things (not in prayer), one's mind allows the toxicity to bubble along, unchecked.  But when we lay a desire like that out in front of God, it gets exposed.  And once exposed in prayer, God can work on it with you, transforming your initial prayer into a prayer asking that the envy you feel will lose its sin-soaked hold on your heart.  That is a kind of prayer-power which you might not have thought of.

Honest prayer is full of surprises for us.  When I begin prayer, I think I am praying for one thing, but by the end of the prayer, I have amazed myself at what I have come up with.  I didn't know I was so worried about a family member, until her face dominates my mind during prayer time and shuts out the very thing I thought I had wanted to pray for.  That prompts me to make a phone call after my prayer concludes, which in turn leads to more adventures.

Sometimes, when I am praying for something I know is foolish, I come to the realization that there is a deeper need beneath it.  Praying for a lengthy winter vacation in Florida might really be a prayer to spend more time with family, to be somewhere away from the computer and the cell phone.  Before the "amen" in this prayer, God has revealed all kinds of ways I might connect with the people I love, and none of them require an airline ticket.  By the end, I may still want that Florida vacation, but in prayer, God has taken my desire and led me someplace new.

Sometimes we pray to God with so much specificity, it sounds like we are lecturing a sloppy subordinate at work about when and where to show up for a key event, complete with last names, details about the hospital room number, and the exact diagnosis.  However, I think what God really desires from us is an honest emotion, straight from the heart.  We should trust that God can and will take care of the details.

So, the power in prayer is not just from being able to present God with a "laundry list" of our perceived needs.  The power in prayer comes from regularly talking frankly with God.  It comes from developing an on-going relationship which invites God to work with whatever we take to Him. 
________________________________________________________________________________

These thoughts are brought to you by CPC's Adult Spiritual Development Team, hoping to encourage you to pursue some spiritual growth this spring at CPC.
________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment