Tuesday, March 13, 2018

WEEKLY COMMENTARY: Have You Learned The Language of Christianity?



Last month I had my annual medical exam.  Before my visit to the doctor, I needed blood drawn for analysis.  Then the doctor and I reviewed my recent medical history and he concluded that I was reasonably fit for a man of my age.  Such good news!

On the way home, I recalled our conversation.  It had been peppered with medical terms I did not really understand, so I had to count on my doctor as the interpreter.  

A few days later, it was Sunday and I was in church worship.  At some point during the service, I became aware of how many words we use in worship that I could not really explain if someone asked me.  To some degree the language of Christianity seems like a foreign language to me, that I need to learn as such.  Words like fasting, Holy Communion, spiritual disciplines, worship, baptism and repentance are part of the Christian lexicon.  These words and other words in the language of Christianity would be challenging for me to explain to someone else.

Then I realized that my superficial understanding of this vocabulary suggested that I might also be missing out on the deeper meaning and value of Christianity in my life.

For folks not familiar with the Christian vocabulary, it could be seen as "insider" language.  The trouble is that "insider" language alienates.  "Insider" language distances.  "Insider" language seems exclusive and inaccessible.

So, one might see the practice of Christian evangelism as an attempt to explain to others this Christian vocabulary.  At least, evangelism attempts to build a vocabulary for understanding the Christian view of one's relationship to God, and developing some degree of faith and purpose for living our lives.

Some people believe there is a growing tendency today for biblical illiteracy.  If this is true, isn't it just one more way that many people today fail to develop personal knowledge of the vocabulary of  Christianity?

What about today's seemingly increased suspicion of institutions, especially religious ones?  Again, is this stimulated by what many see as "insider" language that they have not really studied and learned, so it is adding nothing to their lives?

Helping to weaken the desire to learn the vocabulary of Christianity, is the growing tendency in society today to use the language of psychology or therapy for interpersonal difficulties.  We also turn to management models and business language when we need to figure out how to make relationships or institutions work.  Christian practices, informed by Christian vocabulary, seem like a way to use more effectively the spiritual and moral categories and language that connect us to the wisdom of Christian tradition.

How well do we know the language of Christianity?  Even if it was spoken in our homes when we were children, we must continue to practice it so we do not become rusty.  We need conversation partners.  Occasionally we may have to do a full immersion program to supplement the weekly Sunday lesson.

I suggest that we should practice the "peculiar" words of confession and forgiveness, redemption and resurrection, communion and evangelism until they are so embedded in us that they shape our everyday thoughts and guide our waking hours.  Let's be so fluent that we aren't embarrassed to speak out in public and even translate for others curious to know what we are talking about.
____________________________________________________________________________

These thoughts are brought to you by the CPC Adult Spiritual Development Team, hoping to encourage some spiritual growth for you this Spring.
____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment