Tuesday, April 23, 2019

WEEKLY COMMENTARY: Golf and the Game of Life


Last week, many people were amazed at the comeback by 43-year-old Tiger Woods, in winning the Master's at Georgia's Augusta National.  Over the past decade, Tiger had gone through four back surgeries and the global disgrace of repeated marital infidelities.  But now he seemed to have recovered his former golfing glory!

I am not much of a golfer, but one of my favorite New York Times columnists is a passionate golfer.  That would be Thomas L. Friedman, whose foreign affairs column I always enjoy.  But this time he surprised me and he talked about Tiger Woods and golf.  Tom Friedman wrote "golf is the sport most like life."

He noted that, "it is played on an uneven surface and everything is on you.   So, good and bad bounces ---- and self-inflicted mistakes ---- are built into the game.  And so much of success in golf, as in life, is about how you react to those good and bad bounces,  Do you quit?  Do you throw your club?  Do you cheat?  Do you whine?  Do you blame your caddie?"

But, is golf really so much like life?  "In one sense," says Friedman, "each and every round of golf is a journey, and like all of life's journeys it's never a straight line.  It's about crazy bounces, self-inflicted mistakes and unexpected detours, and therefore becomes a journey of discovery about yourself and your 'playing partners'."  "And, if you love the game, its an everlasting journey in search of self-improvement."

To Tom Friedman, Tiger's plays under pressure were stunning, but it was not just luck or even pure physical attributes.  Friedman believes it was about practice ---- hours and hours and hours.  Friedman quotes Gary Player as saying, "The more I practice, the luckier I get."  "And," says Tom Friedman, "that is where the meaning of Tiger's comeback seems to begin ---- the willingness to commit to endless hours of practice.  How many of us have that iron will?"

Most of us make a variety of commitments all the time.  Some are observed long-term, while others are forgotten in a few days.  Many of our commitments will be about something which we expect will benefit ourselves ---- "I must lose 15 lbs."  Perhaps most of Tiger's commitments were to benefit him.

But we do not really just live solitary, isolated lives, so we also make commitments to benefit some of the people around us.  Here's the hard part ---- what sort of balance should I seek between commitments for my benefit, and my commitments to other people, near and far?

If Tom Friedman and I were actually having this conversation, face to face, I would have had some questions.  I would have asked Tom, how did Tiger Woods avoid the conclusion that his success was all about HIM?  Is there some source where I can seek coaching on how to protect my emotive heart, but also share my heart with others?  How do I keep my occasional golfing practices from making me believe that "I could become the greatest golfer" ---- my latent old pride?  Is obsessive golfing practicing the best way for me to leave the world in better shape than when I found it?  Most importantly, is "practice, practice, practice" in giving to others the right way for me to develop a long-term commitment to giving care to others?  
_________________________________________________________________________
These thoughts are brought to you by CPC's Adult Spiritual Development Team, hoping to encourage you to pursue some personal growth this Spring at CPC.
_________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment